Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Billy Cobham Power Play

What a difference a day or two makes. At first I was ready to throw Billy Cobham Power Play out the window. I found the jazz tunes tiresome after a few minutes. Not the least bit relaxing. I was all set to give it a thumbs down.

However I played the CD again a few days later, and behold - I liked it!  Released in 1986, the jazz music is described as post bop and fusion, Cobham takes his drumming talent and drives a steady, interesting beat. So on the second time I listened to the CD, I enjoyed the beat and the music it wraps around. Who knows how I will feel about the music if I listen to it one more time. But I know Jim would have enjoyed this CD.

Titles on the album include:

  • Times of My Life
  • Zanzibar Breeze
  • Radio Active
  • A Light Shines in Your Eyes
  • Summit Afrique
  • The Foundation ("Isisekelo Zulu")
  • Dance of The Blue Men / The Nomads
  • The Debate ("Indaba")
  • The Conflict ("Ingxabano")
  • The Little One ("Omncane")
  • The Promise... Unity ("Isithembiso... Umanyano")
  • Desiccated Coconuts
  • Tinseltown
  • Schmagofatz
I almost wish there were some vocals to go with some of these wonderful names.  Listen to the master drummer here.






No comments:

Post a Comment