Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Chick Corea Compact Jazz


Jim loved, loved, loved the music of jazz musician Chick Corea. He idolized the 22-time Grammy winning jazz legend, pianist and composer. I think if dreams really could come true, he would have been a musician just like Chick. I, on the other hand, had to work to see the good in his work. Which is why I dreaded listening to Chick's Compact Jazz.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear many good and artistic sounds, but was taken aback by its erratic combinations. The beautiful music was so intense, I had the feeling of being caught in a very busy day at work. Although I heard his compositions many times, I did not recognize it beyond the wild sounds.

Released in 1987 on the Polydor label, the CD includes the following:
  • Captain Marvel
  • Captain Senor Mouse
  • Armando's Rhumba
  • 500 Miles High
  • Love Castle
  • Vulcan Worlds
  • No Mystery
  • Spain
So dear Jim, I'm afraid we will continue to "agree to disagree" on this artist. While I recognize his talent, and quite beautiful sections, the music of Chick Corea just doesn't come together for me. Listen to a few of the tunes here.




No comments:

Post a Comment