Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 6 (Pathetique)

I really like Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 6 (Pathetique). It would be difficult to find somebody who did not like the melodic and stirring tones from the 19th  century Russian composer Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky. So I think I will concentrate on all the Italian musical terms in this piece I do not know.  Music scholars are probably rolling their eyes, but at least I am taking the time to find out.


  • pathetique - passionate or emotional; not pathetic as I originally thought.
  • adagio - slow tempo
  • andante - moderately slow, even tempo
  • moderato assai - at a moderate tempo
  • andante come prima - tempo indication; moderate as before
  • andante mosso - movement, more lively
  • allegro vivo - with life and vigor
  • moderato mosso - moderate movement
  • allegro non troppo - fast, but not too fast
  • allegro con grazia - fast with grace
  • allegro molto vivaci - very fast and lively
  • adagio lamentoso -  slowly and sadly
  • polonaise - a slow dance of Polish origin
And now I know....

The CD was released in 1987 on the Telarc label.  It was recorded by the Cleveland Orchestra, and conducted by Christoph von Dohnanyi.



No comments:

Post a Comment