Monday, January 11, 2021

First Impressions by Eric Essix

 


Smooth. Very smooth.

I remember listening to this as we drove along.  I definitely remember the music.  But once it is played, the tunes leave me.  'Kinda like the perfect background music. A piece of piano lines or guitar strands may jump into thought at times. It's nice to have bits and pieces drop in as I go about my day.

First Impressions by Eric Essix was recorded in 1989 on the Nova Records label, on both album and CD formats. The contemporary jazz playlist includes:

  1. First Impressions
  2. Twilight
  3. Cool Breeze
  4. Brown Blood
  5. Contents Under Pressure
  6. Off the Clock
  7. Sparrow
  8. Watching Over Me
Cool Breeze is my favorite, with a touch of seagull calls included.  I wish I could remember more than a few sounds. I've been listening to it off and on for six weeks, and it just doesn't stick. Just knowing that I like the music and where I can find some good tunes will have to be enough.

Eric Essix, 61, credits his style first being brought up with gospel music in Birmingham, Alabama. His grandfather gave him his first guitar at age 10, from which he taught himself to play. His career grew and he became a noted guitarist and band leader. He and his band have performed extensively throughout the world. Members include saxophonist Kelley O'Neal and bassist Sean Michael Ray.  Extending his talents, he is now Director of Programming at The University of Alababma's prestigious Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center. 

Get to know a little more about Eric Essix through his biography on his Web site here.  Listen to one of his more recent piece,  Late Night Drive on Youtube.  I really do enjoy his music.

No comments:

Post a Comment