Friday, November 20, 2020

TriCycle by Flim and the BB's


 So that's where that came from! I always enjoyed the piece TriCycle by Flim and the BB's.  Learning the name, what CD it came from,  and who composed  it was too much trouble. Now I know! I love this modern jazz CD. The tunes are all instrumental, but happy and catchy.  I've been humming them as I go about my day.

TriCycle, the first tune on the list and the albums namesake, is my favorite. I can close my eyes and imagine a three-or-four-year-old peddling around the basement, stopping and starting as the music does. The only thing missing is the sound of a bell or horn. 

Next on the list is Cakewalk.  I'm not sure what a cakewalk is, but the music holds my attention. Lunch Hour Wedding is a very happy piece which moves you along from beginning to end, followed by Sweet Winds of change - even more happy music.  Thunder and Birdies, and Tell Me follow with clear, easy to follow beats. And High Wire! Oh my I like this one.  One can imagine a dare devil working the wire at a carnival or circus. Oh watch your step! The 8:29, Sam's Samba, and Eden complete the list.

 As I mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed this CD.  You can listen to it here on Youtube. Flim and the BB's formed in the 1980s. The band included bassist Jimmy "Flim" Johnson, keyboard artist Billy Barber, percussionist Billy Berg  (the BB's), and reeds player Dick Oatts.

TriCycle  made its appearance in 1982 at the beginning of the compact disc craze, and the BB's  were sought after by people first recording digital. Band members were happy to oblige, but not able to quit their day jobs. Read a little more about the BB's on Wikopedia here.

Listen to some of ye YouTube recordings.  I'm sure you will enjoy Flim & the BB's.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love the mental image of the kid pedaling around in the basement. :)

    ReplyDelete