Monday, February 8, 2021

Rockin' at Vandy

 Valentines Day 2021 is fast approaching. So I decided to share a piece my forever Valentine, Jim Fisher, wrote a few years back for his Wazopia Blog. The pictures for the 2003 and 2004 posts have been eaten by  the Internet.  However the text is still good. 

It brings back memories of a very special day. I'll even throw in a link to Rock Lobster at the end. (Or down, down...)

Rockin' at Vandy by James D. Fisher, May 2004

"My son graduated last week from Vanderbilt University. Mary and I went to the ceremony.  It was very hot as you would expect from middle Tennessee in May. 

"Vandy gives the parents a Big Party the night before commencement.  It's held on the lawn at Peabody College.  The featured band was the B-52's, which, amazingly, was one of our favorite bands when Mary and I graduated from Kent State in 1980.The B-52's played a two-hour set with all our favorite songs,-- Love Shack, Deadbeat Club, Topaz, and Roam. Their finale was Rock Lobster. At Kent, we would always slink down as low as we could get when lead singer Fred Schneider commanded, 'Down! Down! Down!'. 

"It was great. The best part was seeing this new generation singing and screaming to the greatest of all party bands from this past generation.  Afterwards, I met up with Fred and thanked him for the show."

There were pictures taken by Jim. But as I said earlier, the Internet ate them. Instead, please enjoy the Youtube link to Rock Lobster.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment